If you are Xiaomi smartphone owner, it is likely you often face the message “Don’t cover the earphone area” or “Don’t cover the orange area of the screen” (for old MIUI versions). What is the cause of this message? Is it possible to disable it? If so then how to do it? Let’s answer all these questions in turn.
Why does the message “Don’t cover the earphone area” display?
It shows because “Pocket mode” is on. The purpose of this mode is to prevent unblocking when accidental touch screen happens. It is pretty often when device is in ones pocket. At the same time the proximity sensor analyses lack of space around the screen and warns its owner. Try to shield the area around the sensor by your hand or your finger when unblocking the phone and you’ll see the same message on the screen.
If the message displays when the screen is open and without your part, then it means one of the following:
- Dirty area around the proximity sensor (do clean it, and restart your device);
- Firmware failure (do restart your device);
- Bag in device firmware (required firmware upgrade );
- The proximity sensor is broken (it is unlikely. If so, go to service shop).
How to make “Don’t cover the earphone area” message disappear?
Xiaomi company suggests the way to disable the message. It is also on the screen (press the “Volume Up” button). This method turns out to be no means universal. Below we suggest a little longer way to disable this message.
- Go to “Settings”, then to “Lock screen & password”;
- Scroll down to line “Advance settings”, touch;
- Find line “Pocket mode”. Turn it off, the message won’t bother you again.
Note: turning off “Pocket mode” you disable this function. In other words your phone might be unblocked by accidental touch without any notification.